Friday, May 22, 2009

Shoo Fly. . . Don't Bother Me




So there I was the other night, happily painting another illustration. Then, these teeny-weeny little bugs started showing up. Buzzing around and then landing on my painting... in my paint... they were everywhere! I couldn't brush them away for fear that I'd end up with bug guts on the paper, so I had to just let them be. It was funny and annoying at the same time. Reminded me of a story my friend Amy told me about a box elder bug walking across one of her oil paintings. In other news, I brought a story to MNSCBWI meet-up on Tuesday night and no one hated it, so I look forward to polishing it up and putting together a dummy to see what happens. Only 5 more illustrations to go, and then I'll be done working on the book. It is weird because part of me is excited to meet my deadline and the other part of me is sad to be done with it because it had been such a great experience and I just love the story and all the characters.
Here's hoping all of you have a safe and happy Memorial Day weekend!


8 comments:

Sharon Wagner said...

I'll look forward to reading your new unhated story!

Shawn McCann said...

Congrats on getting so close to being done Nina! You are almost there! Have a great memorial weekend!

Amy Vasterling said...

Hey, thanks for the call out! Nice!
Flies? To this I say invest in a scientific/medical tweezers. Dang bugs!

Good luck, hope it isn't like my box elder which left happy trails across my painting. I swear he was riding a horse and dragging his feet.

Bella Sinclair said...

A good thunderous CLAP should do the trick with that pesky fly. Or you can get Mr. Miyagi in with his chopsticks.

Hey, you're nearly done! Oh, I know that mixed feeling of excitement and dread. But YAY for the dummy book! Can't wait to see more.

aimee said...

i had totally forgotten about box elder bugs - they ruled indiana where i grew up, but once i left, no one seemed to know what they were. so after a while i thought maybe it was something in my imagination gone awry. now i know!

glad you're almost done with the book - you'll have to let us know when it will be published and where we can find it.

Nina Crittenden said...

Thanks, Sharon! Have a great weekend, too, Shawn! You are awesome and welcome, Amy! Bella- your Mr. Miyagi comment cracked me up! Aimee- I'll post info as soon as I have it on the book release date (spring 2010)!

Vicki said...

I hear you about being happy and sad to finish a project! At least you have a new one waiting on the sidelines to start working on right away- I always get depressed if I'm floundering around for a new project. Good luck with the dummy!

Nina Seven N7 said...

Hi Nina - I'm feeling the same way about my book, I'm almost done, too and I'm excited and sad that it will be over, I've enjoyed it so much! Thanks for your comment about my tooth. I don't know what the thing is called that they put in a root during a root canal, but that's the thing that cracked.