Monday, March 16, 2009

Famous Fred


One of the coolest parts of illustrating a book is that my favorite stuffed animal, Fred, gets to make a cameo appearance! I won my very first poster contest in first grade. It was for J.J. Hill Days (in Wayzata, MN). My prize was getting to choose a toy from the toy store in the Wayzata Bay Center. I picked a Breyer model horse, and on the way out of the store, saw Fred. You can imagine my heartbreak, as he is clearly a toy superior to all others.... My parents surprised me with Fred on my birthday, and he remains my all-time favorite birthday gift! Hope everyone had a nice weekend!
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

Sharon Wagner said...

What a great idea to sneak in some of your beloved childhood toys into your illustrations. I might do that in the future as well. And congrats on the Parade of homes illustrations!

Christy said...

That's a wonderful backstory. I hope he gets to make cameos in many, many more books!

JenBreeze said...

What a sweet story! Kyle has his own Fred horse (named after Fred Rogers) who has been one of his best stuffed buddies! Great minds think alike...

Nina Seven N7 said...

fred is so cool! it's great you kept him all this time and he gets to be in your book! i'm illustrating my first book right now, so much fun! tons of work, but i'm loving it. thanks for your comment on my daughter's cheerleading ordeal, there's still some lingering sadness, but we're getting there!

Shawn McCann said...

That is so great Nina. I am getting excited to check the book out! Best of luck with the current illustrations

Amy Vasterling said...

Giddyup Nina! You are riding high little lady!

No spurs, promise?

Nina Crittenden said...

Dear Sharon, Christy, Jen, Nina, Shawn, and Amy-- you guys are great! Thanks for visiting and for your kind words!